2019 Call for Proposals
Reflection, Analysis and Assessment
November 20-22, 2019
Our Lady of the Lake University and UTSA-Downtown
San Antonio, Texas
Submission Deadline: November 1, 2019
The NCMSWC invites proposals for papers, panels, roundtable discussions, workshops, performances, and other artistic expressions for the 50th anniversary of the 1968/1969 Chicano Student Walkouts. The conference will focus on the history, advancements and limitations of education and the political, social, and economic opportunities for La Raza since the walkouts. This conference seeks to bring together a conglomerate of interested individuals including academics, independent scholars, K-12 educators, students, community organizers, and the striking students to reflect, analyze and assess the impact of the protests upon the status of educational, political and economic opportunities for Mexican Americans.
The year 2019 is a timely moment to reflect on the impact of the Chicano student walkouts of the late 1960s and early 1970s whereby students across the Southwest and other locations in the United States walked out and boycotted classes to force educational and social change. At a moment when being “the other” i.e. brown, is criminalized, where one is violently targeted, when focusing on the power that lies underneath one’s skin is feared, this conference has the ability to view the parallels and divergences of the struggles of the past with those of our present and future.
Proposals should include:
- Your Name and Title if Applicable
- Affiliation (Academic Institution, School Name and District, Independent Scholar)
- Session Type: Panel, Paper, Roundtable, Workshop, Performance, Artistic Expression
- If individual paper or performance, please include your one-page C.V.
- For all other formats, please include a list of participants including – chair, moderator (if applicable), commentator (if applicable) additional panelists, session leader(s), roundtable discussants. If workshop format, please indicate who will be the facilitator(s). Please include a one-page C.V. for all participants.
- Abstract: 250 words describing your presentation
- Indicate Audio/Visual equipment needs
Please submit your Conference Proposals in PDF form via email to the Review Committee: firstname.lastname@example.org